Here are a few quick tidbits on the continued topic of running and weight loss.
- Prepare to be patient!
- To lose weight you need to consistently burn 2800 calories through exercise each week to successfully lose weight.
- Avoid post run pig-outs!
- Rather than doing fast, exhausting runs, weight loss requires longer, slower runs (25 to 30 minutes) 3 to 4 times a week.
- If losing weight is your goal, run three to four times per week and incorporate other forms of calorie-burning cardio on the other days.
- A longer run at a slower pace will burn more calories than a short run at a faster pace.
- You may not be burning as many calories as you think. Use a heart rate monitor to make sure you are in the calorie burning zone.
- To lose a pound you need to burn 3500 calories.
- Larger people will burn more calories than smaller people doing the same thing.
- As runners lose weight, they begin to burn fewer calories per mile and weight loss begins to stabilize.
- Mix up your running workouts: include speed intervals, hills, long runs, short runs, and run on different surfaces and in new places to keep your muscles guessing and continuously strengthening.
- Running is one of the best ways to tone your lower body because it helps diminish fat while building muscle.
- Remember: The number on the scale isn’t always the best way to monitor your progress.
Good luck in your weight loss endeavors!