Many people have asked me how I can do a half marathon on one day and a full marathon on the next day (refer to the Goofy Challenge), and the simple answers are training beforehand, proper nutrition, and just being smart. Here are a few tips I can offer.
1. Train properly for the races. Choose your races wisely. The Goofy Challenge (and now Dopey Challenge) is set up for success, if you have trained properly. About 20 weeks out from the race, the day before your long run, WALK (or run/walk) about half the distance of your long run to simulate doing the first race.
Here is a good training plan example I found on Active.com
|Weeks Until Race Day
|10 Weeks out||6 miles||16 miles|
|9 Weeks Out||8 miles||18 miles|
|8 Weeks Out||10 miles||20 miles|
|7 Weeks Out||7 miles||14 miles|
|6 Weeks Out||8 miles||19 miles|
|5 Weeks Out||8 miles||19 miles|
|4 Weeks Out||10 miles||22 miles|
|3 Weeks Out||Begin Taper||Begin Taper|
2. After the first race, try and get in some protein within 30 minutes after crossing the finish line. This goes a long way in helping your body structurally recover faster. A protein bar, some chocolate milk go a long way to helping here.
3. Rest between the races. Let the legs recover. This can be difficult if you are doing the races at Disney, as you just want to go to the parks and have fun. But be smart here!
4. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
5. During the races (and during training) practice using gels and energy drinks throughout to help give you that little extra you need.
6. Finally, and if you follow my posts on races, two words – ICE BATH. Take a 15 minute ice bath after each race. Endure it, it is worth every second of it!
My friend Amy reminded me of two other ideas I had forgotten:
7. Where compression pants, sleeves, and/or socks after the races to help with blood flow and support.
8. Since you are doing 2 races back to back, be smart. Take one race and give it your all, while letting the other be more relaxing. Use a slower pace, and take in the moment, and scenery if you are at Disney!
9. Remember this is not the events to even think about PRs! Again BE SMART.